HRM 3304 Unit III PowerPoint Presentation, Federally Prohibited Type of Discrimination
HRM 3304 Unit III PowerPoint Presentation
For this assignment, you will develop a training PowerPoint presentation on discrimination and sexual harassment in the workplace that can be delivered virtually to educate newly hired leaders in your company.
In your presentation, you must accomplish the following:
Explain federally prohibited types of discrimination.
Explain the role of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in workplace discrimination.
Explain Affirmative Action plans your company may institute.
Summarize what constitutes sexual harassment in the workplace.
Federally Prohibited Type of Discrimination
The Federally prohibited types of discrimination include the discrimination on the basis of age, there is prohibitions on the basis of color, disability, sex and also the prohibitions on the basis of national origin. People should not be discriminated on the basis of where they come from and the above should not form specific reasons why one person is given a job opportunity at the expense of another person (United States Department of Labor, n.d.). The Equal Opportunity Employment Commission ( EEOC) states that companies that have 15 or more employees are supposed to adhere to the provision where they are not supposed to discriminate other people on the basis of above provisions.
• They include discrimination on the basis of age.
• The discrimination on the basis of gender.
• There is discrimination on disability.
• People should also not be discriminated on the basis of their sexual orientation.
• Companies that have 15 or more employees should adhere to the restrictions(United States Department of Labor, n.d.).
Areas where the discrimination is not allowed
• Discrimination should not occur during the hiring of the members of staff.
• During discharge of duties.
• Discrimination should not occur when there is delegation.
• Discrimination needs not occur during compensation (U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, n.d.).
• No discrimination when additional job opportunities are being offered to employees.
The discrimination should not occur during the hiring of the employees, during the promotion, when the company is offering responsibilities or during the process of delegation of duties to members of staff, discharge, firing and performance appraisal. For example, when the organization is hiring or firing the organization it should do so on the basis of other reasons rather than discrimination of the workers (U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, n.d.).
Prohibitions Against Religious Discrimination
• Employers should allow the employees to do the following:
• Employees may seek permission to go and attend a religious rite.
• Some workers want to observe certain holidays.
• A Catholic employee may request the organization to grant her permission to wear a rosary.
• A Hindu worker may request to grant her permission to wear a Sarri.
• A Muslim requests for change in schedule so that he or she can attend Friday prayers.
Religious discrimination is also one of the forbidden discriminations of workers in the organization that the Federal government has set up rules and regulation to prevent this type of discrimination. For example, a Catholic faithful may be seeking permission for the change of schedule so that he or she can be able to attend mass in the church on a Good Friday. Similarly, the Muslim may request for permission so that he or she can attend the Friday prayers. All these are considerations that that ensure that the company is not discriminating the employees on the basis of religious affiliation.
The Role Of The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
• It plays an important role in the investigation of the charges of discrimination.
• It considers several factors such as the strength of evidence that has been brought before the courts.
• It considers the impact of the lawsuit on the ability of the organization to consider the workplace discrimination rules.
• It is used in providing leadership and additional guidance for the Federal agencies regarding the workplace discrimination issues.
• It can adjudicates on the appeals and other matters that have come before the court.
The United State Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is charged with the responsibility of investigating any cases of discrimination in the organization. It considers the strength of evidence that has been brought before the courts. In the event that there is some sort of discrimination, the commission may file the case on behalf of the people who have been discriminated. It develops and leads to the introduction of Affirmative Actions. It provides the needed leadership and guidance to the federal agencies. It monitors the process that is used in determining the applicable rules. It can adjudicate on other matters that have come before the court(U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, n.d.).
Other Roles Performed By The Commission
The composition of the commissioners is that they have 5 commissioners. These are the people charged with providing leadership to the communication and the designing of the strategic plans. They train the supervisors and the other officers of the commission so that they do their jobs. They investigate a charge to find out if there are any mistakes that have been committed. In the event of the actionable employment discrimination, they will investigate a charge and put in place the conciliatory proceedings (Scott, 2009). It can suggest the rules and guidelines that ensures that the employers in the company can put in place affirmative action.
• The commission sues the respondents in federal court.
• The commission is led by 5 commissioners.
• It has the officers and supervisors.
• The role of the supervisors is to check and further supervise the overall litigation process.
• It suggests the rules and procedures for carrying out affirmative action.
Affirmative action to be preferred in the organization
Affirmative Action’s refers to the rules put in place by the organization to ensure that the people who have faced discrimination over the years have the capability of getting ahead. It is ensuring that the minority people in the community can also have opportunities for employment. The company may put in place the affirmative action rules as a way of promoting the smooth hiring practices and transparency. It is also meant to increase unity and inclusivity in the organization (Thompson, 2019). The hiring practices that will be adopted includes ensuring that not more than 2/3 of the same gender are in leadership and management.
• The company will produce data to show the existence of imbalance within the organization.
• It will ensure that employees in leadership consist of both men and women.
• It will ensure that it does not put in jeopardy the interests of the employees who are not going to benefit from the program(Thompson, 2019).
• Before Affirmative action is made permanent, it must be temporary.
• It will also be made to ensure that not all employees are hired from a particular race.
The Impact Of The Affirmative Action
Affirmative action ensures that there is an additional increase in diversity in the company. Engaging in the action brings more people to engage in additional decision making in the organization. increases the consistency in the merit based system in the organization especially if the minority employees are hired on the basis of their academic qualifications and experience. The organization has an additional responsibility of not antagonizing those people in the organization who may not be the beneficiaries of the organization affirmative action.
• It will increase diversity in the organization.
• It will promote creativity in the rest of the firm.
• It is easier to develop a positive culture as a result of the diversity initiative.
• Increase in the worker performance.
• It increases the consistency in the merit based system in the organization especially if the minority employees are hired on the basis of their academic qualifications and experience.
The constitution of sexual harassment in the workplace
In the organization, Sexual harassment is the use of language, visual materials and physical behavior to laugh at, make the person lose dignity and destroy the reputation of one person as a result of their gender and sexual orientation. Examples of sexual harassment in the work place includes groping, forceful kissing, inappropriate touching, verbal jokes, comments and insults directed from one person to the next. Sometimes someone may make a comment that is meant to complicate someone on the basis of their looks but it comes out inappropriate. It also includes making sexist remarks against other people. It is also about giving people unwanted gifts to warrant attention.
• In the organization, Sexual harassment is the use of language, visual materials and physical behavior to laugh at, make the person lose dignity and destroy the reputation of one person as a result of their gender and sexual orientation.
• Inappropriately touching another person.
• Making sexist jokes and comments about others.
• It includes groping.
• Giving members of the opposite gender unwarranted attention.
Scott, R. (2009). Equal Employment Opportunity - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics. Www.sciencedirect.com. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/social-sciences/equal-employment-opportunity
Thompson, J. (2019, May 28). Examples of Affirmative Action in a Workplace. Smallbusiness.chron.com. https://smallbusiness.chron.com/examples-affirmative-action-workplace-12019.html
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. (n.d.). Section 12 Religious Discrimination |. Www.eeoc.gov. https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/section-12-religious-discrimination
United States Department of Labor. (n.d.). Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW Private Employers, State and Local Governments, Educational Institutions, Employment Agencies and Labor Organizations�. https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf